The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Hi

I wonder if anyone has had a DNA test done. FamilytreeDNA have Douglas listed as one of their projects.

As I am stuck with my Douglas line it might be worthwhile

Bob

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Jackie,

Sorry for the late reply but we just moved house (again). None of those names come up in my Family Finder, but if you are descended from the Earls of Angus I am guessing that your male relatives are haplogroup R1b. I am an I1a. Best of luck with your searching.

Regards

Nigel

Yes Rb1 RM269 on my Paternal side (which also has Douglas and Sinclair , Stewart) A rare subclade , is being tested for now as we are Oliphant rather than Stoddard on my uncle William Leslie Stoddard Ydna results, requested by the Sinclair DNA project that we get the SNP pack , (the Comptons have the same rare Subclade) so I'm hoping these results will help solve the mystery around Oliphant (of 38 YDNA matches there were 18 Oliphant and no Stoddard!?)
NOTE: the was a Elizabeth OLIPHANT married DOUGLAS (earl of Angus
Oliphant can be many different surnames , as they were Landed gentry (is that best what to say William? when talking of Families with many surnames in a line?)

on my paternal , It appears I have Earls of Angus and Sinclair too along with royal Stewart ; so it all gets very confusing maybe Leslie and Morton (= Martin / Morgan ) also

so I could match numerous lines of Douglas and Douglass! ( not sure exactly where the paternal ones start in our tree yet though

unfortunately our last living Maternal Douglas was Margaret Douglas M Tower (royal Stewart descendants down from there)

Margaret DOUGLASS DOUGLAS 1739–1772

BIRTH 2 JUN 1739  Midmar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

DEATH 27 AUG 1772  Aberdeenshire, Scotland
her parents 

• John DOUGLAS   1708–   (could be wrong)

• Agnes DONALD   1710–   (could be wrong)

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2017   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service