The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

help? Margaret Douglas abt 1761 M. John Stewart shipmaster abt 1755 also Abernethy, wyllie, webster, Fowler, Gibson

Margaret Douglas Tower abt 1761 M. John Stewart shipmaster b abt1747 d 15.9.1794

dau Margaret Douglas STEWART m.12 Aug 1815 Alexander RUST bapt1792 St Nicholas d 1879 Banff

Old Machar Parish No168B

Aberdeenshire Thistle St Merchant Grocer

Tea Plantations Ceylon

Help?

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jackie,

There are a number of entries for 'Ceylon' in the history section of the Douglas Archives.  Use the search box (bottom, left column top right) to find them.

William

Hi William they did live in Aberdeen and had the plantations in Ceylon, and warehouses in London and Aberdeen in 1700's till about 1850 with 6 clipper ships to transport tea (A Rusts business in pigots Aberdeen CD in 1825) until the accountant Ross went to ceylon on Alexander Rust's behalf and robbed all the 500 workers in Ceylon and took them to an remote Island imprisioning the workers and started new plantations ; ruined the family business and thats when 2 brothers (incl my Gr Gr grandfather John Rust came to New Zealand in 1852) and 2 went to Australia / Canada I think. Interesting to see the wills of spinster sisters who stayed in Aberdeen ; the had major share holding in all sorts of shipping companies and banks, leaving a large amount in those days (1907 when leaft to john Rusts widow here in NZ my Gr Gr Grandmother) interesting to know shares existed over 100 years ago and that women owned them ! the Douglas line are Glenbervie Red Angus but need help to get beyond Margaret Douglas abt 1761 M. Alexander Stewart abt1755  thanks Jackie

hopefully I will come to Scotland next year !? is any event castles based in Aberdeen . do you know any familes who would house swap for my lovely B & B here in beautiful Whangarei , Northland , New Zealand www.kaurinest.co.nz

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service