The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Im looking for Douglas(s) in Wootton, Northamptonshire.

My ancestor Joseph Douglas left there and moved to Bradford, Yorkshire (between 1861 - 1870). 

Joseph was born in Wootton, Northamptonshire in 1848. His father is Samuel Douglas born 1823, Wootton, and his father Joseph born 1800, Wootton.

I was surprised that my ancestor hadnt moved from Scotland, so Im wondering what they were doing in Wootton, all Ive discovered so far is that they built houses! I havent got any further back.

Has anyone got any ancestors from Wootton?

Thanks

Views: 563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Nigel

I have never thanked you for your help re my family tree. I was a little confused re Susanna Douglas a pauper but you are right i am pretty sure she is my 4th Great Grandmother. I found Daniel's birth records on FreeReg with help recently from my sister. I think I am now at a dead end, and will never know her parents.

Kind regard

Cara Douglas

Cara, Don't give up. I have reached dead ends before and someone offers some information that sends you off on a whole new track.

I was able to visit Chipping Warden & Byfield during a flying visit to the UK (that gave as many questions as answers). If you would like some photographs which may be of interest, e-mail me at my work address: elgatodeniropicturebookhero@outlook.es . Regards

Sorry Cara, recent research reveals that Susannah Douglas b.1741 CW, married in 1770 John Jarvis of Greatworth. They had 2 children, James and Mary.

Hi Nigel,

I'm Cara's sister. Nice to speak with you. Thank you so much for this information. I just told Cara, as she's missed your reply. We'll have to do a re-think... will keep looking, thanks again Nigel.
Cheers,

Kim 

Hi Nigel, just found a birth reference in the England, Select Births and Christenings 1538-1975 for a Susanna Douglas b 1848 in Chipping Warden to William Douglas b 1706 and Elizabeth Goude b 1708. If I add Susanna to the family tree (ancestry) we have twelve children to William and Elizabeth including first son William b 1732 who died same year. Could this be our Susanna who had Daniel Wells Douglas b 1784? Do you have any information in regards to Susanna b 1848? Knowing she had him in Byfield, where her brother Robert and wife Julias moved to to have their family, is a good sign.

I think this article refers to Daniel Bateman Douglas, b.1786 of The Griffin Inn, Chipping Warden. He was coincidentally married to an Elizabeth. In 1851 He farmed 200 acres and had sons John b 1826 and William b,1828, plus a servant Mary Hirons aged 25.

Cara, this almost certainly refers to Daniel Bateman Douglas, born CW 1786 F= William, a baker M= Sarah Douglas nee Bateman. Daniel farmed 200  acres in CW and owned the Griffin Inn in 1851. He died in 1855.

Hi Nigel.

As you can see from my post 'my' Douglas's trail goes cold with George in Culworth. The family that yourself and Cara are discussing (the one including Susanna) also have a George listed as third son, born 1827 in CW. Just wondered if you have any knowledge of what happened to the sons of George and Ann ?

Gary, in your earlier post you say you have a trail back to George d.1801, so presume you are looking to go back further. My search in Ch. W ends in 1763. George & Ann had a son George, bapt. 24.12.1727, who could have moved to Culworth, but I have nothing to substantiate that. A quick search on FreeReg brought up 9 births & 5 burials for Douglas' in Culworth, but I find it best to work from the transcripts of Parish Registers. Culworth's have been transcribed at Northampton records office & can be copied for you.

For what it is worth, my research has found 3 early Douglas families in Northants. Thomas & Agnes in Ch.W in 1524. Robert and a Richard Douglas in Greatworth in the 1550s and William Douglas in Everdon in 1524. Whether or not these strands would meet if you went back a lot further I don't know. I have my own theory on the origins of the Northants Douglas' but without anything of substance that would persuade me to publish it.

Hope this helped.

I would like to hear your theory on the origins of the Northants Douglas's even though you lack positive proof. I suspect that the George Douglas of Chipping Warden was the father of 'my' George Douglas of Culworth but have no positive proof, therefore it remains a theory (and not included in my family tree) until proven, as do all theories. If you would prefer not to publish on this public site please feel free to contact me on douglasgn@hotmail.co.uk.

Hi Nigel

Sorry for my late reply. I agree there are variants of the surname, but thats what happened - they spelt it how it sounded. 

I havent really got much further, but Joseph Douglas born c1804 married Mary Martin in 1823, Wootton, though I dont know where this Joseph was born. However, I have 7 children inc the first born Samuel (my ancestor born 1823), then Neal b.1826, Frances b.1829, George b.1833, John b.1835, Ephraim b.1837 & Elizabeth b.1840. 

Interestingly I found a newspaper article saying that Joseph Douglas worked at Hillyards Farm, Wootton, for 11 yrs without intermission, and he worked as a labourer until he died in January 1841. His son Samuel began also as a labourer, then went to be a mason at the age of 37yrs, also down as a bricklayer. Curiously enough Ive only recently discovered that Samuel was christened as Samuel Martin instead of Douglas, presumably he was a surprise, as the parents married before the 2nd child came along.

I havent come across anything about the canals, but I agree there may be a link with Robert and the bricklaying trade somewhere.

Sue

Please note that this discussion cross-references with this one

RSS

Your profile

Is it time to update your profile?

Are the details visible to others still relevant?

By keeping your profile current, with the latest information about yourself and your research, you are making others aware of your progress, and perhaps attracting others to contribute.

If you are logged in, you can update your profile by clicking on the settings button, above.

© 2017   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service