The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Robert Francis Douglas B 19/2/1900 - D ? -Looking for Death Certificate

Robert Francis (Uncle Bob), son of John and Jessie Douglas nee Hodgson of St Helens,Lancashire.

He was in the English Navy service number J49597 19/2/1918

R.F.D.took assisted passage to Canada aboard the Canadian Pacific's "Montroyal" which departed Liverpool on 28th June 1929 bound for Quebec as a 'Farmer'

We do know he enlisted (Army we think) in Toronto, His service number was B-61197.  The B prefix indicates that he enlisted in Toronto. Military Service records will not be released without a Death Certificate.

Below is an paragraph from an email I received from Dept of Libraries and Achives, Ottawa, Canada."A general index for marriages and deaths that occurred in the province between 1926 and 1996 was prepared by the Société de généalogie de Québec.  It is available on CD-ROM and can be consulted in many genealogical societies and libraries.  Library and Archives Canada holds a copy of that index; however, a search failed to produce any reference to the marriage or death of Robert Douglas."

I and other family historians have not found a date or whereabouts of Death (looked in UK,Some Canadian sites,some USA sites.

We believe he died in the 1960's leaving his estate to a sister using a brother as an executor.

I applied to probate in the UK but received information of an incorrect man, so disappointing.

Searches of Newspapers of the time, give a Robert Douglas as being involved in a Conspiracy to avoid the Draft Service -Ottawa Journal 26/1/1944. Just a suspicion but is this Uncle Bob?

Does anyone have any ideas about where do we go from here?

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am copying other correspondence here for ease of access

Possibly the Holy Cross Church Hall in St Helens. The photo was taken in the 1930s, and the banjo player is Frederick Austin ('Fred') Douglas (1904 - 1961).

-------------

Are any of these your ancestor?

April 1974 - Frederick Austin Douglas, unemployed, residing and lately
carrying on business in partnership with others as builders,
at 32 Mayland Avenue, Canvey Island in the county of Essex.

Austin Frederick Douglas, Circa 1943 - 2008
Austin Frederick Douglas was born circa 1943, to Frederick Austin Douglas and Elizabeth Ann Douglas (born Blake).
Frederick was born on August 11 1904, in St Helens Lancashire.
Elizabeth was born on November 16 1907, in St Helens Lancashire.
Austin had 3 siblings: John Douglas and 2 other siblings.

William

---------

Thank you William,

The F.A D. -April 1974 etc. Fairly sure he is not our branch.

The Frederick Austin and Elizabeth Ann nee Blake are my husbands (Robert John) parents.

They had four sons all born St Helens, Lancashire (Registered in Preston)

Francis Joseph D b28/10/38 d in NZ 21/4/2008; (my husband) Robert John, b 7/11/40; Austin Frederick D b 11/4/43-d in Kelowna BC 27/2/2008;John Christopher b 21/6/50-d in NZ 21/9/1997

That is my husbands (Robert John) father - Fred on the Banjo. (Probably posted by Anne Sherriff, a 2nd cousin,I think) We are looking for Freds older brother, Robert Francis Douglas

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service