The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

History (16)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

80 Drysdale men counted at 1541 weapon show

Encyclopedia Britannica WAPENSHAW (M.E. for “weapon-show”), a periodical muster or review of troops formerly held in every district in Scot…

Started by Russell Lynn Drysdale

1 Jan 15, 2023
Reply by Russell Lynn Drysdale

Douglases in Caithness

Apologies if there is already a discussion about this, please feel free to direct me in the right direction if there indeed is. Is there an…

Started by Rina Douglas

1 Sep 23, 2022
Reply by William Douglas

How did they die?

Hi folks, While researching I've come across a couple of road blocks where I'm hoping the good folks here might be able to assist.  Sir Jam…

Started by Andrew Douglas

2 Oct 15, 2019
Reply by Andrew Douglas

Ancient MIgrations of Douglas Paternal Lines

You may be interested in the paths that your paternal line took from Paleolithic Africa to Scotland -- the map above shows three SNPS whic…

Started by Robin Spencer

2 May 25, 2019
Reply by Robin Spencer

SIR CHARLES DOUGLAS ARCHIVES

Hi All- I’m trying to find the archives that house the personal and professional papers of Captain Sir Charles Douglas, RN for the years 17…

Started by Charles E. Pippenger

0 May 18, 2019

Dame Margaret Douglas

Hi,  Currently researching Sir Robert Montgomerie of Skelmorlie Castle and his wife Dame Margaret Douglas.  Can you please help me with dat…

Started by J Coghlan

5 Oct 30, 2018
Reply by J Coghlan

Cavers is for sale;

"LESS THAN ONE HOUR AND A HALF'S DRIVE FROM EDINBURGH, THIS FANTASTIC SCOTTISH CASTLE SET IN 10 ACRES IS AWAITING ITS RESTORATION. A once m…

Started by Mark Stephen Elliott

5 Oct 9, 2018
Reply by Mark Stephen Elliott

Douglases fighting for the Axis Powers and Russia

Several Douglas families had settled in what would become Germany and Russia before World War 1 and World War 2. Some of these families are…

Started by Christopher Morales Douglas

1 Mar 20, 2018
Reply by William Douglas

Passports of Southeastern Pioneers 1770-1823

A very interesting book a friend turned me on to .... named                                                                     '' Passpor…

Started by Russell Lynn Drysdale

3 Mar 24, 2014
Reply by Russell Lynn Drysdale

Archibald Campbell Douglas

Hi I've recently had come into my possession a solid oak campaign decanter box on the lid are the initials A C D underneath a crest of an o…

Started by Keith Bradley

4 Mar 8, 2014
Reply by William Douglas

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service