The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Hi
I've recently had come into my possession a solid oak campaign decanter box on the lid are the initials A C D underneath a crest of an oak tree with a lock hanging from it. Insides are four hand blown glass flasks with silver stoppers four cut glass tumblers and three large tumblers also two silver toddy ladles with a Dublin silver mark of 1811 with some research I have managed to narrow it down to belonging to Archibald Campbell Douglas 1st baron of blythswood can anybody give me help by pointing me in the right direction to affirm this ownership. In your archives about Archibald it states he was born in 1835 but changed his name in 1838 is that possible as he would be three years old. The box does seem to tie up with him as he was a respected officer in the Crimea. Thanks in anticipation for any help you may give in the future
Regards
Keith

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Born Archibald Campbell Douglas on 22 February 1835  (he dropped the Douglas from his name in 1838) in Florence, Tuscany, he was the son of Archibald Campbell, 17th Laird of Mains, until 1838 known as Archibald Douglas.  Lieutenant-Colonel Archibald Campbell, 1st Baron Blythswood FRS  was a Scottish soldier, Tory politician, amateur scientist and Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.  But I wonder if he is your man?

A lot of name changing went on as the Douglases and the Campbells chased the money!  Sadly now all gone, I think.

The oak tree in the crest is from Douglas of Lochleven, and was used by John Douglas of Ferguston and Mains (first recorded 1672), whose daughter, mary married John Campbell of woosdide.  From this marriage Lord Blythswoood, The Monteath Douglases and the Douglases of Douglas-Support are descended.

The Douglas-Support arms recorded in 1832 include the oak tree, as do Lord Blythswood's arms of 1893. (And so does mine!)

Would he have used the initials ACD after 1838?  Seems doubtful to me.

The 1811 silver mark is not definitive that the box was made then, but would he have put these into a specially made box sometime around 1855, when he was in the Crimea? 

However, I cannot come up with a better answer!

Hi William
Thanks for your prompt reply the box has obviously got a Douglas link as with the oak tree and lock and I have just been able to find the crest in fairbairns book of family crests and is listed under Archibald Campbell Douglas of mains there seems to be another Archibald Campbell but his last name was Douglas - Dick but would he put his initials as ACD I still find it a puzzle that my best bet changed his name at three years old ? Could this date be wrong and he changed his name much later in life. I agree with you on the silver but it would be nice if I could tie the whole thing up around this date which would put it in the peninsula wars , Waterloo or the Americas. However I will keep trying and maybe come up trumps with the right ID
Thanks again
Regards
Keith
Ps any ideas on where to research appreciated

I have never managed to sort this family out, but what I have so far is here: http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/archibalddouglas2.htm

However, I am locating more on the Douglas-Dick family and am adding it to the page, which I will publish tomorrow.

Keith, I wonder if you could post a photograph of the box with the crest?

I would welcome the addition to my collection.

William

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service