The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Colonel Edward Douglas born Dec 1590 in Scotland his ancestry

married widow Isabel Dale sister to Sir Thomas Dale, royal governor of Virginia. Isabel was born in Middlesex County, England. Edward Douglas was born in Scotland 14 Dec 1590 and died in Northampton County, Virginia 2 Nov 1657. Upon the death of Elizabeth Throgmorton Dale, the widow of Governor Dale it is presumed Edward married Isabel and his rights to an inheritance over-rode those mentioned in the will of Elizabeth Throgmorton Dale. Edward became seized, by patent, the land called "Dale's Gift" in Northampton County, Virginia."Dales Gift" was the very first patent issued in America. Upon Col Edward Douglas' death Isabel married the Rev. Thomas Teackle and in time they moved to Accomack County, Virginia.

In his will Edward Douglas mentions his cousin Edmund Boweman of Accomack County. Edmund was probably born in Scotland. It was disheartening to find only one reference to an Edward Douglas of Scotland. (See Fife County, Scotland,Dunfermline Parish Register 1561-1700} 11 Nov 1632 Andrew Elder and Janet Phine hand Isabel; wit- Edward Douglas, Thomas Douglas, William Pillonis

My efforts have been fruitless in finding Edward.Edward was a leader in Northampton County and always addressed as a gentleman.

If someone can point me in the proper direction I would be most appreciative.  Henry B. Hunt, Jr.

Views: 2040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen references to a George Douglas in Accomak a century later, but I am unable to help with Edward at the moment.

Do you know if he got his rank in Scotland? And which regiment?

William

Do you have info on this George Douglas , I have one buried at the church up the street .Inscription on stone from top to bottom line for line reads as follows

Sacred 
in
Memory
of
Geo. D. Douglass
born Sep. 2.d.1789 died
Sep.4 th.1826

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=36076845&...

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2013/103/36076845_136594719709.jpg

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2013/103/36076845_136594797676.jpg

I've done a great deal of research on Thomas Dale and my ancestor 12 generations ago was at Dales Gift
Looking for the Douglas connection, I found this in Vaughn Baker's website :
Baron Throckmorton remarried the daughter of Thomas Baynum who left his estate in Gloucester, Clearwell, to Lady Dale’s brother. In a 1609 deposition involving Clearwell, we found the mention of the testimony of John Dale, son of Edward Dale. Subsequently, we found the 1593 will extract of a John Dale of Castle Morton in Worcestershire, which was less than twenty-five miles north of Clearwell. He was a cooper at the castle and left sons John Dale (baptized 1563), Robert Dale (baptized 1566), daughters Agnes (baptized 1568), and Joane (baptized 1570).

Castlemorton is/was the residence of Simon Douglas-Pennant, 7th Baron Penrhyn (The Old Vicarage, Castlemorton, Malvern, Worcestershire)

The same website has this:
In 1641, Lady Dale was mentioned as the widow of “Sir Thomas Dale of Stepney in Middlesex, deceased in parts beyond the seas. We also found another entry dated 1622 about Thomas Dale, “Thomas Dale deceased in parts beyond the seas to brother Richard Dale”. We then found a 1619 will of a Richard Dale of Saint Swithin (near Stepney) and he mentioned sister Isabella Gayer, alias Dale. Subsequently, we discovered that Richard Dale was also “deceased in parts beyond the seas”.

Is it thought that she married Edward Douglas after Mr Gayer died?

There are in the Virginia Colonial Abstracts several references to both Edward and George Douglas , I think vol.2

page 732 has more DUGLASS/ DUGLIS variants

Thank you Mr. Drysdale. This is my Edward Douglas. He had recently arrived on the Eastern Shore. I note, too, Mr. William Stone, High Sheriff, who shortly left to become provisional governor of Maryland. Henry B, Hunt, Jr.

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service