The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

I am aware of Ancestry.co.uk, FamilySearch.org and a few others, but is there a list of good genealogy sites?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are a number of good sites to choose from, some you will have to pay to access, others (such as the Douglas Archives!) which are free.

Please remember that sites which just have lists (as we do) often come without source references, and so you have no way of verifying the information. Just use the information you glean from them as a guide for future research.

I attach a list of 50+ sites which you might find useful. The $ sign indicates you will have to get out your credit card!

Please let me know of other useful sites, and comment any on this list that particularly like - or dislike!
Attachments:
I haven't fully gone through this website, which has just been flagged up in another community, but its got a lot of info. Marriages at sea, arrivals in Canada, NY, Australia, that sort of thing.

http://www.theshipslist.com

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service