The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

My kids are on to me to update the information I got from a relative, it was a basic family tree of my Douglas family here in Australia. I got the info many years ago and used an old program to do a HTML family tree, i'll attach the file. If anyone could help, you can see quiet a few birth and or death dates are missing, wondering where to9 find them and do a "new" complete tree for my kids before they get bored and not interested any more about their ancestors. Any help would be appreciated, i'll have a bit of time in a few days to start searching on here, just wondering if anyone might want my familys info to add to any they have, more than welcome to use it, cheers Pete.     

DougTree.rar

Views: 31

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to our community, Peter.

I have downloaded your files, but they need to be looked at individually, as far as I can work out, and so are not easy to work through.

I opened one at random, which is for Martha Matilda Collins. Her maiden name was Rolls. I do not know who her parents were, nor anything about her first husband, Mr Collins.

You may find something to work from in the former Clan Douglas Association of Australia newsletters: 
http://douglashistory.co.uk/history/CDAA&CDSA/index.html

Yours aye,

William

Thanks mate, I will endeavour to get my info into a better format, and try and fill in the gaps, but it will be a slow job, and i'm in no great urgency to do it, I was hoping that my kids would help, but they are like all the young ones these days, they expect it to all happen at once and in a rush, they have the wrong expectation if they want me to do it :-), cheers Pete.

Some of this line is in the Douglas Archives, and whilst I make no guarantees that he information is accurate, it might be a starting point to take things forward.

I will be taking another look once my present project is signed off.

W

I received this in an email from my cousin yesterday:

13th April 1952             Peter James Douglas (always James) born;  he had been born with approx. 2/3rd of a heart and although today a heart transplant would have been almost automatic, no such treatment was available (the first successful heart transplant was in South Africa in 1968) so he was in and out of hospital all his life trying new treatments as medical science advanced.  He bore these very significant difficulties with great fortitude and good humour.  He was also very widely read across a remarkable range of topics.

On one of his last hospital visits, he was being transported in an ambulance from Dumfries to the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh and the ambulance drivers got confused by the roads so the very ill James sat up and directed them.

On our last visit to see James at the RI, the Nurse in Charge of his ward was a Filipino lady whom we knew well;  her husband was a Dane whose father had been a Minesweeper Captain in WW2.  In 1944, D-Day had to be put on hold briefly because of bad weather in the Channel and the War Office decided to give as many troops, particularly foreign ones, as possible a short leave and, thanks to Wren Aunt Anne, four Danish minesweeper Captains spent a couple of days at Ardgour (yes, they are in the Visitors’ Book) and one of the four was our Filipino friend’s future father-in-law.  Aunt Libby visited that family in Copenhagen in 1947 and remembered seeing a rather fat little baby boy ……………...

W

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service