The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

I don’t know if I am in the right place but I am looking for any information on my ggg grandmother, Jane (Jeannie) Douglas. She was born c. 1795 most likely in Delaware County, NY. She married my ggg grandfather, Samuel H. Dean in February 1814 at the Presbyterian church in South Kortwright in said county where they lived for a while before moving to Caroline, Tompkins County, NY prior to 1820.

She apparently died in the 1830’s in Caroline, NY. Samuel then married a woman named Mary who possibly was related to Jane but that is pure speculation. I can’t find a burial place for either Samuel or Jane even though Samuel died in 1875 likely in Candor, Tioga County, NY. If anyone has information on her parentage, etc. that would be appreciated.

Bob Dean

(Robert James Dean, Jr.)

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are in the right place!

But I don't have an answer for you - yei!

William

Back then they didnt supply much info on females in the census , but Looks like James Douglass  could be her dad

Lets see.. born c. 1795 most likely in Delaware County.....

At the time of the first Federal Census there was no Delaware County. At that time all land north of the west
branch of the Delaware River, now in the County of Delaware was included in the Town of Harpersfield in
Montgomery County. This township also included some land now in Chenango and Broom Counties.
All land now in Delaware County south of said river was included in the townships of
Woodstock and Middletown .
Portions of these townships extended into what are now Ulster, Green, and Sullivan Counties.

1790 FIRST FEDERAL CENSUS.... Delaware County ...
-#1---#2----------------#3-#4-#5--location
 237---Douglass, James----4--1--3--Kortright

Column #1 gives the enumerator's number in each township.

Column #2 lists the head of the household.

Column #3, Free White males of 16 years and upward including the head of the household.

Column #4, Free White males under 16 years of age.

Column #5, Free White females including heads of families.

https://www.dcnyhistory.org/1790.html

Thanks very much for the information. Do you know of anyone who has a family tree that might include additional details? I understand there has been some research on the Dean/Douglas families in that era. While the first Deans arrived in British North America in the 1630’s our branch (my ggg grandfather) came here ostensibly from Edinburgh, Scotland in 1812 when he was 24 years old. 

He was born in St. Frilz, Ireland in 1788 but I can’t locate that town in any source I have checked. I haven’t researched any crossings from Edinburgh in that time frame either. I suspect there may have been some connection to the Douglas clan that lead him to settle in Stamford, Delaware County before moving on.

https://douglashistory.ning.com/profile/PatLevinson

Pat has Douglas and Dean ties it seems you may want to contact her ,  may be a shot in the dark , her page is dated 2010 but it states ''Elizabeth Douglass married to Robert M. Dean. Elizabeth died in Caroline, Tompkins, NY '' 

I know of Dean's in Argentina in present day , descendants of the Drysdale brothers Juan and Jose ... 

Pat is my fifth cousin as her ggg grandfather (Robert M. Dean) was a brother to Samuel H. Dean. I got most of my information from her.

Well , at least  you have a place to start . 

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service