The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Im looking for Douglas(s) in Wootton, Northamptonshire.

My ancestor Joseph Douglas left there and moved to Bradford, Yorkshire (between 1861 - 1870). 

Joseph was born in Wootton, Northamptonshire in 1848. His father is Samuel Douglas born 1823, Wootton, and his father Joseph born 1800, Wootton.

I was surprised that my ancestor hadnt moved from Scotland, so Im wondering what they were doing in Wootton, all Ive discovered so far is that they built houses! I havent got any further back.

Has anyone got any ancestors from Wootton?

Thanks

==========================================================

A section on Northamptonshire has been added to the Douglas Archives: http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/Documents/Northamptonshire/...
I hope that this supports and helps those researching the ancestors from this county.
It was hoped that the research would lead to a solution for the ancestors of the elusive William Douglas, born 1610, but it has not done so. Yet.
William Douglas; May 2023

Views: 958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to hear your theory on the origins of the Northants Douglas's even though you lack positive proof. I suspect that the George Douglas of Chipping Warden was the father of 'my' George Douglas of Culworth but have no positive proof, therefore it remains a theory (and not included in my family tree) until proven, as do all theories. If you would prefer not to publish on this public site please feel free to contact me on douglasgn@hotmail.co.uk.

Hi Nigel

Sorry for my late reply. I agree there are variants of the surname, but thats what happened - they spelt it how it sounded. 

I havent really got much further, but Joseph Douglas born c1804 married Mary Martin in 1823, Wootton, though I dont know where this Joseph was born. However, I have 7 children inc the first born Samuel (my ancestor born 1823), then Neal b.1826, Frances b.1829, George b.1833, John b.1835, Ephraim b.1837 & Elizabeth b.1840. 

Interestingly I found a newspaper article saying that Joseph Douglas worked at Hillyards Farm, Wootton, for 11 yrs without intermission, and he worked as a labourer until he died in January 1841. His son Samuel began also as a labourer, then went to be a mason at the age of 37yrs, also down as a bricklayer. Curiously enough Ive only recently discovered that Samuel was christened as Samuel Martin instead of Douglas, presumably he was a surprise, as the parents married before the 2nd child came along.

I havent come across anything about the canals, but I agree there may be a link with Robert and the bricklaying trade somewhere.

Sue

Please note that this discussion cross-references with this one

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service