The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

I am having doubts about the parentage of Hugh Douglass born 1713 in New Cumnock, Scotland.  In Ancestry, lots of folks (including me) linked him to James Douglas 13th Lord of Mains 1691-1741.  But I have researched and can find no definitive proof that James ever had a son name Hugh.  The Peerage doesn't list him and neither does the Douglas of Mains archive.  Nor does it list James' wife as Jean/Jane Farquhar, but as Isobel Corbet. 

I did find a James Douglass abt 1690 and Jean/Jane Farquhar 1693 who had a son Hugh which fits the time and place of his birth.  

Anyone?

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to our community, Gail.

I agree that the link to James Douglas of Mains seems unlikely.

I do have Hugh, married to Jean Farquhar in my database, but without sources, although this needs verification.

If you search for 'New Cummnock' (top right) You will find other discussions on the topic.  It would be good to tie some of these together.

Yours aye,

William

A lot of people have put this Hugh Douglas in my family tree but I don’t think he fits. My Hugh came from Scotland to Virginia in 1740 and died around 1780 if what I found is right.

I have this Hugh Douglas b1713 in my family tree. I show James Campbell Douglas b1691 and Jean Farquer b1693 as his parentage. 

I found this info in familysearch.org

When you see the names Campbell and Douglas together, you should think 'Douglas of Mains'.

The Douglas family of Mains, which only very recently died out, is one of the oldest branches of the Douglas family.

The Douglases and the Campbells in this family intermarried over several generations.

Mains is located to the north of Glasgow. The mansion house was knocked down to make way for the current Douglas Academy.

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service