A collection of historical and genalogical records
Douglas Park was formerly the property of the Hamiltons of Orbiston, and was sold by Major-General John Hamilton of Orbiston, in 1800, to Gilbert Douglas, a West India merchant in Glasgow, who had large plantations in the Island of St. Vincent. His residence in the city was on the north side of George Square, now one of the hotels. In 1794 Gilbert Douglas married Cecilia Douglas, only surviving daughter of John Douglas, merchant in Glasgow, whose father was a merchant in Leith, and whose mother was a daughter of the third James Dunlop of Garnkirk. Mrs. Douglas had seven brothers, one of whom was General Sir Neil Douglas, G.C.B., a distinguished officer; the others were West India merchants, members of the once well known firm of John Thomas and Archibald Douglas & Co., the last survivor of whom was the late Thomas Dunlop Douglas of Dunlop.
Add a Comment