The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Douglas ancestors from Ayrshire 1700's - early 1800's

I’m searching for the parents of my 4th great grandfather, Henderson Douglas 1809–1871 in Ayrshire. I’ve hit a road block tracing them or confirming some information on them. I have census records of Henderson living with his wife and kids in Ayrshire in 1851 and 1861 but nothing afterwards. I also have birth records for all his children and his marriage record. All dates and names match perfectly.

I’m not sure where ancestry got his death info from, but trees say he died Jan 10, 1871 in Auchinleck, Ayrshire. I haven’t found any source info to confirm that, but he’s also not in any census records past 1861. His wife was in census records living with their daughter in 1871 and alone in 1881.

I’m hoping someone here can help me find and confirm his parents.

Ancestry trees have listed his parents as Samuel Douglass 1772-1871 and Jane Towel/Toad 1771-1871, but the dates don’t seem right. Both born and died in same year?

The only information I’ve found on this Samuel was this listing, but no further info:

Ayrshire, Scotland, Parish and Probate Records

Douglas, Samuel, of Burnhouses, residing at Auchingramont, near Hamilton 05 Mar 1794 and 20 Nov 1794

Book Mac. Mc. contd. (Marriages)

Collection Lanarkshire, Aberdeenshire, Banff, Ayr, & Stirling: - Commissariot Record of Hamilton and Campsie, Register of Testaments, 1564-1800

Maybe people connected his parents through his marriage records? But all ancestry gives is the date, Henderson and his wife’s names and file number, so I can’t tell. I know his wife was Anne Glendinnan 1812-1884. They were married on 1 Dec 1827 in Monkton, Ayr, Scotland.

I haven’t found any source information on Samuel, just other trees connecting them. So I don’t feel confident.

If anyone also has information on Henderson’s wife, Anne Glendinnan, I would appreciate the help. Ancestry trees say her parents were John Glendinning b 1780 and Margaret Moore. But I don’t see any source info for that. Again, maybe from her marriage record, but I can’t get the actual record to see.

Have you ever come across the surnames Glendinnan/ Glendinning or Moore or Towel/Toal from the 1700’s in Ayrshire? Or further information on the Douglas line in Ayrshire? Or surname Percy (my Percy ancestor moved from Scotland to Maryland to Pennsylvania)

How common were those surnames in Ayrshire then? I know him and his sons were miners, so perhaps his father was too?

Any tips or information you have would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Jen

Views: 79

Reply to This

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service