The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

I am seeking help with the following story about the connections between the Douglas and Willan family, and would be grateful for corrections and contributions:

A few days before he died, John Willan (wife Elizabeth) of How Hatch, South Weald, (died 11 Aug 1792), changed his will, which led to a court case Willan Vs Willan which contested his mental state at the time of signing. His nephew, John Willan disputed the will as the land was being left to ‘Uncle’ John’s great nephew, William Willan (presumably not John’s (the nephew) son).

John Willan (the nephew) was, in 1745, a hostler at the Lion Inn, Barnet. Described at the time of his death as a ‘great horse-contractor, late occupier of the Bull and Mouth’, he had by then accumulated £200,000 from the acquisition of horses for the artillery at the request of the Duke of Cumberland ‘on his return from Scotland’. John died at Hatton Garden about 17 July 1822.

The Bull and Mouth Inn was a famous coaching Inn, from where stage coaches travelled to and from various towns and cities, including Brighton. Two stagecoach operators on the Brighton Road were J Willan and JJ Willan, about whom it was said in court (not the Willan Vs Willan case above) that there was ‘no connection’. I am not sure of J Willan is one and the same as John Willan (the nephew).

JJ Willan was John James Willan, ‘a Hampshire man, formerly lived at Preston Candover’.

John Willan, of the Bull and Mouth, had a son, John Henning (died 1826), one of whose sons served in the Opium Wars c 1841, Henry, who was an assistant surgeon in the Royal Navy. It is to be noted that there are several Willans who became surgeons.

William Willan (died before 22 Apr 1823), a merchant, of How Hatch, South Weald, presumably the great nephew above, had a son, John James (died 1869), and three daughters, including Frances, who married Rev CA Belli, vicar of South Weald. This John James may, or may not be the John James, stagecoach operator and ‘Hampshire man’.
John James Wilan (died 1869) married Jane, daughter of Rev. George Walton Onslow (1768–1844), himself the son of George Onslow (28 April 1731 – 12 November 1792), a British politician and army officer, the eldest son of Richard Onslow and his second wife Pooley, and the nephew of Arthur Onslow, Speaker of the House of Commons. John James Willan (born 1799 in England; died 15 September 1869 at Whitchurch, Hampshire) was an English amateur cricketer who played first-class cricket from 1819 to 1830. He was mainly associated with Hampshire and with Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), of which he was a member. He made 13 known appearances in first-class matches. He (they?) lived at Thomas Bank House, Whitchurch, Oxon (sic).

John James was father of Col Frank Willan, CMG, DSO.

Frank Willan (born 1846) was Colonel of the Oxfordshire Light Infantry, a DL, JP and Alderman for County of Hants. He was a heavily involved in rowing including captaining ‘the Oxford Four, which had beaten Harvard on the tideway’. He lived at both Burley Manor, Ringwood and Thorne Park, Bitterne, Southampton (also described as Thornhill Park, Hampshire). He married Louisa Marguerita Douglas, daughter of Captain Charles Robert George Douglas, late 32nd Bengal Light Infantry (Killed Dehli, 1847) and Louisa nee Robinson, both grandchildren of Major General Robert Douglas.

Frank and Louisa had two sons, Brigadier Frank Godfrey (1878-1957) and Brigadier Robert Hugh. There was also a daughter.

I have been unable to link Thomas Willan (died 12 may 1828, aged 78), of Marylebone Park and Twyford Abbey to the Willans detailed above, but apart from his dairy farm in Marylebone (now Regents Park), he was also a ‘London stagecoach proprietor’ operating from the Bull and Mouth. It is possible he was father or grandfather, to William Willan, and nephew or brother to the elder John Willan.

Thomas Willan had two (at least) daughters. His eldest, Isabella Maria (died 1862, aged 73) married John Kearsley Douglas, son of Lt General Robert Douglas, Royal Artillery. His youngest daughter, Jane, married, at Twyford, Captain Henry Seymour, a grandson of the 1st Marquess of Hertford.

John Kearsley took his wife’s name, thus becoming Douglas-Willan. His death in 1833, aged 48, was preceded by a long and painful illness, the effect of a severe wound received in Holland at an early age in the service of his king and country.

Isabella and John’s son, William Moffat Douglas-Willan sold Twyford Abbey in 1890 (or 1887?). Robert D-W, their 2nd son was a captain in the Scots Fusilier Guards. He died 26 Aug 1863. Their youngest son, Captain Stanhope Leonard D-W of the Queens Regiment married at Hove, Brighton, 7 Jan 1862, Georgiana Christina, daughter of F Burnett, Esq., of Cliftonville. His youngest daughter, Isabella Maria married Robert Douglas of HM Buffs.
There is apparently a family vault at Twyford Abbey. Mrs Margaret A. Douglas-Willan is interred there.

A Col Douglas-Willan is described as still being the ‘chief landowner’ (at Twyford) in 1908, and to be ‘still living at Andover’. He was the son of JC Douglas-Willan. This would be Colonel Henry Percy Douglas-Willan, ‘who fought with Lord Chelmsford during Zulu War’. He attended Victoria College, Jersey (entrance 2nd term 1863, left 1866). He entered the army (4th Hussars). Transferred to Kings Dragoon Guards 1879. Served in Zulu and Boer Wars. Retired 1899. C.B. 1902. Asst. Director of Remounts, Sn. Command 1905, placed on half pay dated 16/6/94. Lived at Andover. Died 1912. Who was JC D-W?

Henry Percy had a son, Major John Gordon D-W, and a grandson, Major Walter Gordon D-W of the Durham Light Infantry, who was killed 24 Mar 1918 at St Quentin, France

Questions arising:
1. Who was Lt General Robert Douglas, Royal Artillery, father of John Kearsley Douglas?
2. Who was Major General Robert Douglas, grandfather of Charles Douglas and Louisa Robinson?
3. Who was William Willan’s father?
4. How does Thomas Willan link into this Willan family?
5. Was J Willan John Willan?
6. Was John James, father of Col Frank Willan the son of William Willan?
7. How does JC Douglas-Willan relate to John Kearsley?
8. Who was Robert Douglas, of HM Buffs?

Views: 1692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure that i know Thomas William Willan - how does he fit in?  The key to my research was Thomas Willan: http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/famgen/getperson.php?personID=I9557...

The Bull and Mouth came up in research of another family from Yorkshire recently, but I have yet to tie them all together.

William

Thomas William Willan (they got all the family names in here) was the son of John Willan, who appears to be a nephew of the John Willan who owned the Bull and Mouth. I found the connection because I had information that Thomas William studied at Lincoln's Inn. I sent an email and they sent me copies of when he started, giving his father's name and address (Haddon Garden), when he was admitted to the bar, the father's death announcement in the "Gentleman's Magazine" of 1822, and a financial request which mentioned the Willan vs. Willan case. So I began to search. First I found this site and was overwhelmed. Next I found Michael Synge information on Rootsweb - It appears to put things together. Thomas William moved to Canada, by 1825 he was admitted to the bar there and married. I am a descendant of that marriage. Will be happy to share more if you are interested. Thanks to people like you and Michael Synge to make life easier for people like me. I inherited information on my family from an elderly aunt. (My dad was born in 1893, but I wasn't born until he was 52!!) I have been able to substantiate much of the info, but several brick walls. Thanks to Mrs. Bellis at Lincoln's Inn, You and Mr. Synge One of those walls appears to have crumbled!!! You can imagine how exciting that is to me. Thank you. 

I can't contribute to the Douglas discussion since my connections are to the Willans, but if I may, I'd like to correct some of the information about the Bull and Mouth coach business.  It was started by the John Willan who, when an ostler in Barnet, in 1745 caught the eye of the Duke of Cumberland in Barnet, thus starting on his road to success.  I'd like to call this call this chap Jack.  He was born in Kirkby Lonsdale in 1711 to William Willan and Jane Thornburrow, and he died, as we know in 1792.  He married Elizabeth Bradshaw but had no surviving children.  His nephew, also John Willan, took over the coach business and was one of those gentlemen-coachmen who occasionally drove a coach on the London-Brighton or London-Bath routes.  This John was born in 1745 (the year of Jack's encounter with the Duke) and died in 1822.  A transcript of his will is on Surrey Wills Plus Index (I have Jack's very long will but have not yet posted a transcript).  Jack's sister Jane married Edward Richardson and had a son Thomas who also came South.  He became a wealthy farmer and landowner in Middlesex and died the same year as his uncle Jack, 1792.  His will transcript is also on Surrey Wills Plus Index.

The Duke of Cumberland, known as "Butcher" Cumberland and Sweet William, was a younger son of King George II.  He reportedly bought horses from 'Jack' Willan en route to Scotland.

It was about this time that a Douglas became the purchaser of horses for the Royal Artillery.  This might be General Robert Douglas, son of Major Robert Douglas, who married Mary Kearsley in 1777, parents of John Keasley Douglas-Willan, who married Isabella Willan, and founded the Douglas-Willan branch of the family.  The General became Commandant of the Corps. of Artillery Drivers.

Which is where my interest in the Willan family started.

Hi William:

In response to your E-mail "triggers".

The Colonel commandant was a Lt. General RA and his father was buried as Lt. Colonel, Chatham Marines.

After many hours of research, I sent you the Willan ancestors of Thomas Willan back to a Brian Willan b. 1507/8 about two/three years ago.

Maybe the pedigree is on your site- I was unable to find it. If you wish tyo post it, please advise.

As always, best regards,

David B.

David, I would very much like to see your Willan ancestry back to 1507/8.  I've only got back to the 17th century in Kirkby Lonsdale.  You can see what I have at: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=synge...

My interest is in those who migrated to London from Westmorland, including Jack Willan, Thomas Richardson and a Jane Harrison who married Thomas Whittington.

Best wishes,

Michael Synge

I correct myself. Inspite of extensive search of the three Rochester parishes, I have found no evidence to establish that Lt. Col. Robert Douglas (of Royal Chatham Marines) was the father of Lt. Gen. Robert douglas, RA.

Michael: if William wants to post the (extensive) Willan pedigree back to 1507/8 on his website, then we'll do that: if not ask him to release your E-mail address privately to my E-mail address and I will send it to you.

Melanie: I saw a later posting from you but do not find it- if you want the Willan pedigree please action per note to Michael above.

Regards,

David

Hi David, 

Thank you for your offer. I would love to have the Willan pedigree. When I was working in the past I just couldn't get a connection for Thomas William Willan. With the help of a wonderful lady at Lincoln's Inn I have found you, Michael and William. Unbelievable, I was stalled in Canada in 1825 and now have access to information on the Willans to 1507/8.

I did find information on William's genealogy site going back that far. So maybe it did get posted. 

William, please feel free to give my email address to David, privately!!

Again, thank you guys.

Melanie

Thankyou, David.  I have found the Willans in the Douglas Archives.  I just don't know my way around the site very well, so I'm slow to see what's in plain sight.

Melanie had a question about Casterton.  It is a hamlet about a mile Northeast of Kirkby Lonsdale, but within of the parish of Kirkby Lonsdale, so the people of Casterton would have gone to the church in Kirkby Lonsdale. 

Michael

David,

I am fairly confident that the material you kindly shared is all recorded in the genealogy database.  Certainly Brian Willan is there.

I will share email addresses privately.

William

Have you gotten answers to Numbers 3 and 4? You probably have, because they are in your genealogy now. As I see this was written in 2009. Also, as per the will of John Willan, d 1822, Thomas Willan of Twyford Abbey was his brother. It was this John who took over the coaching business out of The Bull and Mouth, not Thomas. These two brothers were the sons of  James Willan, brother to John Willan, d1792. John Henning Willan was the son of John Willan the younger by a first wife. Thomas William Willan was by his 2nd wife. 

Thank you - yes, I think I have those connections now.

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service