The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

Hi all,

I've just about come to the end of my search for early American Drysdales, I turned up a few but nothing of momentous import.

I've summarized what I've found to date in a table, also available as a pdf below:

Drysdale - Early American Settlers - 1600s & 1700s

Best regards

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all,

Ref: Baltimore County Families 1659-1759 a Book by Robert Barnes

I have continued my research into some of the names in the above table however I have come up against a brick wall in my research into the Robert Drysdale in Virginia, The problem is that I have come across a source which doesn't fit and may or may not be an error.

I have a lot of source material for a Robert Drisdale in Baltimore, Maryland, for the period 1676-1704 and further source materials for a Robert Drisdale in Norfolk County for the years 1690-1704. I also have a copy of the will of Robert Drisdal who died in Baltimore in 1704. All of these sources could refer to the same person, two separate people or father and son. However the reference in the source above (from the Barnes book) indicates the unlikely possibility of a third Robert Drisdale, also in the Baltimore region, in the same time period, who seems to have died in 1696.

In the first image above, the reference to one Richard Perkins administering the estate of one 'Robert Drisdale' in 1696 indicates that he died around that time or a little before. At the very end of this paragraph there is a long list of numbers which presumably are references to Barnes’ list of sources with page numbers viz. (2:88, 90,136; 12:422; 48:117, 164, 286; 59:62; 64:19; 122:41; 128:2, 3, 9, 12; 129:201, 214; 211:388)

I cannot get access to the source list in this Barnes book (costs about $85) to check if there is actually a source which refers to Perkins & the estate of Robert Drysdale.

Does anyone have access to the 'Baltimore county families 1659-1759' book to check this source list out?

Many thanks and best regards

Inbox.

Russel has correctly pointed out that some of the names in the table above may not be variants of Drysdale and that there are other name origins that may be more appropriate e.g. Twisdale is a better match for Tuisdale than Drysdale.

Best regards   

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service