A collection of historical and genalogical records
Situated in King St, Castle Douglas, The Douglas Arms trades today as a successful small hotel with 23 bedrooms. Reputedly it first opened for business in 1779, where it was located on the key coaching route on the road to Portpatrick, the shortest sea crossing to Ireland.
The Douglas coat of arms above the door is that of Sir William Douglas, founder of Castle Douglas, who, although he never owned the inn, probably invested in it. It is claimed by some that an earlier Douglas Arms posting house was located just outside the village of Carlingwark.
The Douglas Arms was the stopping place for the coaches, which in addition to passengers, played an important role carrying the Royal Mail.
Bob Henry, elsewhere here, reports that In Pigot's Directory of 1825-6, Robert Douglas is in the Douglas Arms, King Street, Castle Douglas and in 1837-8, Marion is recorded there. In 1852, Slater has Mary Douglas.
When the building of Gelston Castle (Douglas Castle) was ongoing, circa 1805, for Sir William Douglas, the story is told of letters arriving in the town addressed to him:- 'William Douglas of Douglas Castle, care of Mrs Douglas, Douglas Arms Hotel, Castle Douglas'. However, it is noted that Mrs Douglas in the hotel was no relation of Sir William's.
Add a Comment