A collection of historical and genalogical records
Nov 16, 2015
With the passing of Sir Thomas Dale in 1619 and the passing of his widow, Dame Elizabeth (Throgmorton) Dale in 1641, there came a succession of overseers. One in particular, Charles Harmar, petitioned the Virginia Council in 1627 for 100 acres of choice land in what was considered a part of the Dale Plantation. Charles Harmar, aware of the destruction of records in 1625 had reason to believe that his petition might be heard and he be given a favorable response.(The Dale Plantation covered a vast area, starting at Old Plantation Creek and extending down to Cape Charles. The Council became hesitant in according Dame Dale, an absentee landlord, dominion over so vast an area, especially with the destruction of records they were left uncertain as to the actual bounds of the Dale Plantation and they acceded to Harmar's wishes. Charles Harmar became the first of many to encroach upon the bounds of this plantation. In 1628 the Virginia Council responded favorably to Charles Harmar's Oetition and granted him 100 acres within the area covered by the Dale patent.
Add a Comment