The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

This is a quick posting to let those descendants of William Douglas b 1666 of New London and his wife Hannah that I believe I have found another child, Thomas, born to this couple.  If so, this may be the link to the New Fairfield CT Douglas family which is written of in Charles H J Douglas' Douglas Genealogy pub 1879.  Thomas is the last in the list of children included in William's probate papers from the Guilford CT Court in 1739.  William's inventory was taken June 20 1739 so he died prior to that date.  His executor is wife Hannah and son John, b 1701, cosigned the papers.  Further research shows a Thomas born the correct time m Mary LNU and has William and Thomas bp Dec 5 1751, Hadlyme , Jonathan bp16 Dec 1752,Hadlyme , Samuel bp Hadlyme April 27 1755, Anna bp Hadlyme, April 10 1759.  The family then removed to New Fairfield, now Sherman, CT and Mary was bp Aug 18 1759 and Olive bp July 26 1761.  Can anyone find the m of Thomas b abt 1721/2 and Mary?  They may have m in Hadlyme where marriage records for the church where they baptised their children are missing in the 1740 - 1750+ time period. 

Betsey

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Betsy!  I have been chasing this particular family since the Hadlyme records became available.  I strongly believe that Maj Samuel's (b. 1754/5) father Thomas, is this Thomas.  I have no proof, but this is as close as I have come to a logical fit in my 35 years of research.  What do you think?  You have done so much to help me in the past, which I so appreciate.

For anyone wishing to see if you connect to this Thomas and Mary (and possibly thus to William b 1610) here are the names of the spouses so far identified for the children of this couple.  William m Catrina Kane {Caty Keen} in Scahagticoke, Rensselaer Co NY Jan 1 1778, Thomas m Eleanor Seeley abt 1771 poss New Fairfield CT, Jonathan, no record of marriage, Samuel m 1) Patience Forgeson /Feguson Jan 1 1781 Schaghticoke 2) Priscilla Wood bef 1799, Pittstown NY?, Mary may have m Martin Dunning in Pownal VT,  Anne/a m John Follett Aug 3 1775, Scahagticoke, and Olive m Robert Armstrong Jan 1 1778 Schaghticoke.  

Betsey

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service