A collection of historical and genalogical records
Seven brothers migrated to Jamaica and settled in the parish of St. Ann and St. Elizabeth. The Eldest Brother, William 'Captain' Douglas settled in River Wood on land which he purchased from Lord Sutton Brown . He renamed the place Douglas Castle.
As a part of its wealthy history, the story is told of how the Community of Douglas Castle was settled. In the 18th century, Captain William Douglas, a sailor from Scotland and his wife Jestina Downes with their six sons and two daughters, were searching for fertile land to settle on like many others living in the parish. It was a period of great migration as individuals moved across the wood lands in search of water. The family finally found a spring in an area known as Bud Hole. The area was owned by Benal Burgh, Captain Douglas and his family claimed the area which is now known as Douglas Castle, and settled there. The Douglas family was the first to settlein the area. Edward Douglas, the ninth of ten children was born to Captain William Douglas and Jestina Downes in June 1902, was the first to be born in the district.
Agriculture has been the economic mainstay of the community for decades and Douglas Castle district in particular has been called the "bread basket" for the parish, well known for its production and supply of food produce, especially vegetables across the island.
Add a Comment