A collection of historical and genalogical records
Arguably one of the more ugly new buildings in London, The 30-storey Douglass Tower on Goodluck Hope, has been named after Sir James Douglass, the redoubtable designer of the English coastline’s two tallest lighthouses - the Eddystone Lighthouse off the Cornish coast and Bishop Rock, on the Isle of Scilly.
Born in Bow, Tower Hamlets in 1826, Sir James Douglass was chief engineer at Trinity House, the chartered authority with workshops at Trinity Buoy Wharf, the site of London’s only remaining lighthouse - also designed by Douglass - next door to the Goodluck Hope development, Ballymore’s new waterside neighbourhood.
Bishop Rock, known as “The King of Lighthouses” is the starting point for ocean liners competing in the famous Blue Riband transatlantic race to New York. Its twin – the Eddystone Lighthouse – for which Douglass was knighted, has been set to music by the London Symphony Orchestra and its beacon flashes every 10 seconds, visible for 22 nautical miles.
Add a Comment