A collection of historical and genalogical records
Orchardton House was built in about 1761 by Robert Maxwell. He married a McLellan of Kirkcudbright Castle and it is alleged that the roof timbers from the castle were used in the construction of the new mansion at Orchardton. In 1785, the estate came into the possession of James Douglas, brother of William, founder of Castle Douglas. The house was substantially embellished and remodelled in 1881 by Mr Robinson Douglas. The exterior of the house has been little altered since.
The owners have been in touch to offer 'members' a visit before the house is sold.
Add a Comment