The Douglas Archives

A collection of historical and genalogical records

The Raid of Holyrood - Bothwell, James Douglas of Spott, Wauchope, Colville & Archibald Douglas

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_of_Holyrood#:~:text=The%20Raid%2....

The Raid of Holyrood was an attack on Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh on 27 December 1591 by Francis Stewart, 5th Earl of Bothwell (a nephew of Mary, Queen of Scots) in order to gain access to King James VI of Scotland.
Previously Bothwell had fallen from the favour of James VI and had been accused of witchcraft during the North Berwick witch trials.

Bothwell came with sixty followers after supper on Monday 27 December 1591, including the lairds James Douglas of Spott, Archibald Wauchope of Niddrie, John Colville and Archibald Douglas (a son of the Earl of Morton).

The raid was unsuccessful because James VI and Anne of Denmark were able to take refuge in the tower of the palace after being alerted by the noise of Douglas of Spott's premature attack on the palace's prison - he was trying to release his servants who were held prisoner and were being tortured there.

The raid was resisted and Bothwell's men retreated, thereafter seven of Bothwell's men were captured and hanged.

One of the 60 followers engaged in this raid was Johne Dryisdaill the younger of Little Barnbowgall and, as a punishment for his treasonable behaviour, he had all his personal effects confiscated.

Johne's involvement in this raid and his punishment is recorded in the following publication -
- "Genealogical notes anent some ancient Scottish families." See image below

Johne Dryisdaill, the younger, of Little Barnbowgall was the son of John Dryisdaill (senior) who had been employed by William Douglas of Lochleven and who was known to have sypathised with Mary Queen of Scots during his time there. see image below

Best regards

Views: 39

Replies to This Discussion

I have tried to locate Barnbowgall but the closest that I can get is  Barnbougle Castle, an historic tower house located on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth, between Cramond and Queensferry, within the parish of Dalmeny1. It’s just northwest of Dalmeny House and is part of the Earl of Rosebery’s estate

Other derivatives of the name can be found in the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnbougle_Castle
It is an interesting read.

Hi William,

Yes, that's the place.

In 1575, John Dryisdaill [Loch Leven] took out a tack contract for Little Barnbowgall (ref: Court of session records John Dryisdale of Hervistoune Tillicoultry in 1575 Tack of little Barnebougall)

In 1616, his son John Dryisdaill the younger, still had the land as is indicated in his Will "Johne Dryisdeall alias Barnbugall Testament Dative 11-8-1618" (ref: ScotlandsPeople)

I'm in the process of transcribing this Will and will post it when complete.

Best Regards

Ron 

Here is the Will of Johne Dryisdeall, image plus full transcription, which is attached as a pdf:

Pdf:

Attachments:

Is this the same Archibald Douglas ...''On the which day the Carrick pursuivant, sheriff in that part, compeared and presented a royal summons under the great seal, concerning the summons of Margaret Forrester, widow of the late James Colville of Easter Wemyss, James Colville, son of the late James, and his other bairns, before the king and his three estates, the tenor whereof follows:

King James, etc., to lyon king at arms, Ross, Marchmont and Rothesay, heralds, James Johnston, John Pardovan, Robert Black, Thomas Hamilton, James Lindsay, key keepers, Ormond, Bute, Dingwall and Carrick, pursuivants, John Gourlay, William Hardy, Archibald Heriot and Alexander Hutton, messengers, sheriffs in that part. Gives command that they summon in the presence of witnesses Margaret Forrester, widow of James Colville of Easter Wemyss, James Colville, son and alleged heir of James, personally, if possible, and any other widows, sons and daughters having interest, at the market crosses of Stirling, Clackmannan and Cupar, to compear in parliament to be held at Edinburgh in the tolbooth on 2 March next, for seeing and hearing James declared to have incurred the crime of lese-majesty while he lived by the three estates, for his treasonable contravention of our mandate on 21 August last, and for other causes moving the king, to enter [ward] at Blackness Castle, on pain of treason, which he not only disobeyed, but he immediately afterwards associated himself with Archibald [Douglas], earl of Angus, and George Douglas, his brother german, rebels and traitors, in counselling and acting with them to the destruction of the king and lieges, and therefore the memory of James is to be damned, and all his possessions, lands, goods, etc., at that time and afterwards are to remain with the king, and all goods sold, given or donated afterwards to his wife or anyone else are to be recovered, to remain for the king and his finance in perpetuity. And further it is to be intimated to the persons that whether they compear or not, the king and his justiciar will proceed to justice, and these letters are to be returned duly executed and endorsed. And those who execute the letters are to be present on that day, carrying the witnesses of the summons in writing, committing full power thereto. Under the great seal, Edinburgh, 10 January [1541], 28th year of the reign.

After this summons was read, the same sheriff proved in parliament that it was executed by his endorsement and certain witnesses contained in the endorsement, who were produced by him in that place and sworn, namely Alexander Hutton, messenger, John Cargill, John Rennie and John Kerr, the tenor of which endorsement follows:

On 15 January, the year of God foresaid, I, Carrick pursuivant, one of the sheriffs in that part within constituted, passed at the command of these our sovereign lord's letters and summoned Margaret Forrester, the widow of the late James Colville of Easter Wemyss, personally apprehended, to compear before our sovereign lord and his justice at the day and place within written, with continuation of days, to the effect within written, after the form of these our sovereign lord's letters in all points and articles contained therein. And upon the same day and on 16 January, I passed to the market crosses of Stirling and Clackmannan and there, by open proclamation, summoned James Colville, son to the said late James Colville, and the rest of his bairns and daughters and all others having interest, to compear before our sovereign lord and his justice at the day and place within written, with continuation of days, to the effect within written, in all points after the form of these letters. This I did before these witnesses: Alexander Hutton, messenger, John Craigingelt, provost of Stirling, and Archibald Spittal, John Cargilll, John Kerr and John Rennie, with diverse others.

Upon 17 January, I passed to the market cross of the burgh of Cupar and there, by open proclamation, summoned James Colville, son to the said late James, and the rest of his bairns and daughters and all others having interest, to compear before our sovereign lord and his justice, day and place within written, with continuation of days, to the effect within written, in all points after the form of these letters. This I did before these witnesses: David Lindsay, provost of Cupar, Alexander Hutton, messenger, Gilbert Seaton and John Cargill, with diverse others. And for the more witnessing to these my executions and endorsements, my signet is affixed.

This court of parliament shows for law and I give for doom that, forasmuch as it is found by judgement of parliament that the late James Colville of Easter Wemyss, knight, has incurred the pains of crime of lese-majesty for the treasonable disobedience of the grace the king, being commanded to enter himself in ward in the castle of Blackness but passing out of the realm to the company of Archibald [Douglas], sometime earl of Angus, and George Douglas, his brother german, his grace's rebels and traitors, treating with them for the destruction of his grace, his lieges and realm, for which causes the memory of the said late James is declared to be deleted and all his goods, movable and immovable, lands and gear at the said time and since then pertaining to him until his death to be confiscated and to remain with his highness as his property, with all other gear conveyed by him to his wife and bairns since the committing of the said crime, possessed or occupied by them to remain with our said sovereign lord in time to come. And this I give for doom.''...

James V: Translation
1540, 3 December, Edinburgh, Parliament
Parliamentary Register
14 March 1541
Judicial proceeding: forfeiture for the crime of treason

Wrong Archibald and 50+ years between them.

Archibald Douglas, earl of Angus, 1489 – 1557

Sir Archibald Douglas of Kilmour (1558–1649) son of William Douglas 6th earl of Morton

I seen in the 1575 image '' James Colville of Easter Wemyss''  was the reason I asked, it seems generation after generation of Colvilles were on the Naughty list. for 2 different Kings .

The 1575 image refers if I recall correctly to James Colville the younger , son of James Colville. He had a son Robert as well.  The initial post as well lists John Colville... hmmm...

James Colville (1551–1629) was the son of James Colville of East Wemyss (d. 1562) and Janet Douglas, a daughter of Robert Douglas of Lochleven and Margaret Erskine.

Also Johne Dryisdaill (senior) of Lochleven was married to another Douglas (see image below), a Margaret Duglas in Dunfermline, not sure which Douglas line she came from.

But all in all quite a few people for the naughty list!

I was aware of Sir James Colville, 1st Lord Colville of Culross, died 1629, was the son of Sir James Colville (of Ochiltree) and Janet Douglas, herself the daughter of Sir Robert Douglas of LochLeven.  Janet had 3 brothers - Robert , William , and George...

Sir James Colville [died1629] had a brother named Robert as well , he made the naughty list too.

...''This court of parliament shows for law and I give for doom that, forasmuch as it is found by judgement of parliament that Robert Colville, son to the late James Colville of Easter Wemyss, has committed and done treason against our sovereign lord in the giving of counsel, favour, assistance and help to Archibald [Douglas], sometime earl of Angus, and his brother, our sovereign lord's rebels and traitors, soliciting, procuring and using with them within the realm of England against our said sovereign lord and his most noble person, and diverse other crimes of treason committed by him contained in the summons foresaid, for which causes he has forfeited his life, lands and goods, and they to remain with our sovereign lord in time to come. And that I give for doom.''...

source:

James V: Translation
1540, 3 December, Edinburgh, Parliament
Parliamentary Register
10 December 1540

RSS

Making conections

The more information you can give about the people you mention, the more chance there is of someone else connecting with your family.

Dates and places of births, deaths and marriages all help to place families.

Professions also help.

'My great-grandmother mother was a Douglas from Montrose' does not give many clues to follow up! But a bit of flesh on the bones makes further research possible. But if we are told who she married, what his profession was and where the children were baptised, then we can get to work.

Maybe it is time to update the information in your profile?

© 2024   Created by William Douglas.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service