A collection of historical and genalogical records
A Catholic church, St Brides, since the sixth century until the Reformation, the church served a relatively short spell as an Episcopalian place of worship before becoming Bothwell Parish Church in the early-1600s.
The original foundations of Scotland's oldest collegiate church bore deep under today's structure but the building has been rebuilt over time, particularly after the tower crashed through the roof - twice.
Now the heavy stone roof slabs over the medieval quire, built by Archibald "The Grim" the Third Earl of Douglas in 1389, are causing the supporting walls to bulge and the church has a year to save this section of the building, with £2 million needed for the work.
The Prince of Wales has donated "a substantial" amount of money to save the medieval church from ruin. Thus far, the parish has raised £1.3 million for the restoration project, with £700,000 raised by the congregation.
If any Douglas would like to donate to save this valuable piece of history, then they can do so by clicking here. Please enter details as Douglas Restoration Appeal.
Add a Comment